Decoding Disney

Decoding Disney

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Pocahontas

I don't really remember this film from my childhood...I think perhaps I'd watched part of it once, when I was older, but never really paid attention. 
I watched it properly recently, and while I enjoy the story, I had expected more to happen. I know this sounds strange, as I'd been perfectly happy with older Disney movies where so much less happened. I guess, watching know, at an older age, and thinking I knew something of the story, I had expected more action. 

Pocahontas is, in my opinion, a good role-model in this film. She is strong, yet gentle. Impulsive, yet thoughtful. Brave, yet cautious. She embodies a good balance of these traits and is undoubtedly the heroin of the story. She prevents a war and saves many people's lives through her courageous and loving spirit. 

She is active from the start, leaping off the great waterfall in an elegant dive. She is fun and playful - tipping up the canoe -and still serious when necessary - such as placing her head on top of John Smith's and explaining why they should not fight.

She can hear the wind and is connected with nature.

The song "Savages" is a frighteningly truthful depiction of the prejudices people have against one another and it shows that this views are held on both sides and ultimately drive people to war. 

Englishmen:
"They're not like you and me
Which means they must be evil"

Indians:
"They're different from us
Which means they can't be trusted"

Throughout this song Pocahontas is a voice of reason. With further connections to nature in reference to eagles, mountains and the wind, she races to do what she can to save John Smith and prevent war. She doesn't see those different from her as evil, she gives them a chance and gets to know them.
This shows that if we try, we can get along, and is an optimistic message.

Pocahontas is based on a true story. In the original, she was an 11 year old girl when the Englishmen arrived. It is thought that she did save John Smith by placing her head upon his, though there are doubts as to whether his life was ever truly in danger or whether it was just part of an elaborate adoption ceremony. She married Kocoum, though would have been considered divorced from him after her later kidnapp and profession of love for an Englishman. Pocahontas improved relations between the English and Indians. She saved many lives. It was reported that John Smith had died of a gun shot wound, though years later in England, Pocahontas met him again. Pocahontas married the Englishman John Rolfe, after being kidnapped, and travelled to England with him and her son. She died very young, at the age of 21, from an unknown illness, preventing her from returning to Virginia. You can read about Pocahontas' interesting history here.

No comments:

Post a Comment